A Long Road Traveled
Technology is moving at a record pace and we often take it for granted. I will not pretend to be wise with much experience, however, back in my day, Commodore 64 was the "it" thing, personal PCs were making their ways into homes but they would cost a couple mortgage payments by the time you included the 64KB of RAM and a few megabytes of memory. In 2018, this generation will not use anything less than a Chromebook or an iPad. Think about it that is mind blowing if you've been around for a few years. Gone are the days of dial up modems on BBS' on family landlines. Welcome to now, where we are talking AI and digital currency as being real things. My parents read sci-fi novels about these sorts of things and now we're living it, so now we need to prepare for it. We need to prepare our students for it. In high school, I was one of those skeptics who didn't believe that a huge number of jobs hadn't even been invented yet, man, was I naive. This generation would be absolutely foolish to make the same assumption that I did. Students need to be shown 21st century skills if they are going to succeed. As educators, we are no longer expected to be experts on every matter but instead facilitators who are enabling our youth to get the answers that they need. We do not need to pretend, we need to build a relationship that students are able to trust and that they can come back to so that we can be their sounding board and in some cases their troubleshooter. Below I have shared both an article and a TEDx talk that address these points.
Human Skills, Digital Literacy Critical to Surviving Workforce Automation


Comments
Post a Comment