Reflection I noiƚɔɘlʇɘЯ


"We do not learn from experience... we learn from reflecting on experience."
 - John Dewey

"Reflecting is part of your work"
- George Couros

As educators, we are in a state of constant motion, there is always a lesson to be prepped, work to be marked, parents to call, and initiatives to implement.  If you think back to your early days of teachers' college, for some it might be five years, for some it might be a few decades, we were taught to take the time to reflect.  Hands up if you've stopped and properly reflected on just how things are going?  I'll venture to guess that something came up, another questions was posed, you had another deadline to meet or you simply had to take a few moments to use the facilities.  Sure, the lesson that went awry, you recognized that things didn't go as planned, did you think back to see what you could have differently?  Did you think back to that math concept that your students just weren't grasping?  What transpired?

Take a breath, stop, think back and take notes.  George Couros brings up some very interesting points to reflecting on your teaching practise and he makes a very strong case on the importance of journaling (or blogging in this case). It is a moment to step outside and look in.  Journaling can act a a de-stressor and moment to pinpoint ones actions with the criticism from students or colleagues.  It is an opportunity to reflect on the experience and learn from our ways.  Couros mentions that it is an opportunity to slow down and focus, for many educators this isn't necessarily an option, work doesn't get done on its own, however, as both Couros and John Dewey highlight, reflecting on your teaching practise and day-to-day should be of high importance.  Taking the time now will shape and guide what lies ahead.

Comments

  1. When I came out of teacher's college, I remember thinking that reflection was a 4 letter word. It was something that I didn't really understand, because I didn't have the necessary experience to reflect. I understand the emphasis now, but I think that TC missed the point in not making us understand how to reflect against experience. Now, I know that being better means reflecting realistically.

    Thank you for your thoughts!

    Brian

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts